National Adoption Month (NAM), celebrated every November, is a significant annual observance that aims to shed light on adoption-related issues. While it usually focused on the process of adoption itself, lately, this initiative has undergone a change. No longer only focusing on birth mothers or adoption agencies, NAM now centers on the voices and experiences of adoptees. This shift has brought the importance of promoting adoptee rights and empowerment.
All About U Adoptions wants to take the time to recognize National Adoption Month. We understand the immense significance of empowering adoptees and making sure you know your voice is heard and appreciated.
Ways National Adoption Month Promotes Adoptee Voices and Rights
National Adoption Month has promoted adoptee voices and rights in many ways. One of the amazing things it does is provide a different theme every year. The theme for November 2023 is Empowering Youth: Finding Points of Connection. The message of this theme is to highlight youth-led permanency planning and the importance of supportive relationships. It has become such a significant platform.
Amplifying The Voices of Adoptee Advocates and Storytellers
NAM allows adoptees and adoptee advocates to share adoption stories by offering resources made for you. Through various channels, such as recorded videos, written articles, and social media, you are able to convey your message. These personal stories are compelling tools for challenging stereotypes, raising awareness, and fostering a deeper understanding surrounding adoption. The observance encourages adoptees and your allies to come forward and share your experiences. By amplifying your voice, National Adoption Month plays a pivotal role in transforming the narrative around adoption. This allows you to get others to truly understand you on a deeper level.
Hosting Adoption Awareness Events and Webinars
These events offer a unique opportunity for adoptees and allies to come together to engage with a wider audience. It’s a dynamic and pivotal aspect of National Adoption Month. These gatherings offer unique opportunities for adoptees to share their perspectives. These events break down stereotypes and encourage a more empathetic society. More importantly, they empower adoptees to use their voices and advocate for themselves. These events are also educational, providing valuable insights into the adoptee experience. This creates a sense of belonging, connection, and understanding.
Advocating for Policies that Support Adoptees
Advocating for policies that support adoptees is a critical component of National Adoption Month. This aspect of the observance is aimed at addressing the legal and administrative challenges faced by adoptees. One of the policies that the advocacy efforts center around is granting adoptees access to their original birth records. Many adoptees have been unable to receive these documents that contain information about their biological parents and heritage. Advocates argue that this access is a fundamental right and is essential for an adoptee’s sense of identity. It allows them to connect to their origins. National Adoption Month helps to ensure that adoptees have the same rights as non-adopted individuals.
That is only one of the issues that advocates are supporting to change. The advocacy for policies that support adoptees during NAM is a multifaceted effort to create more support for adoptees. Advocating for positive changes in policies secures essential rights for adoptees.
Get Involved in National Adoption Month
National Adoption Month is a fantastic opportunity to actively engage in promoting adoptee empowerment. Even as someone who has not been adopted or been adopted, you can still provide adoption help. Some practical ways to get involved in promoting adoptee empowerment include:
- Sharing personal Stories: If you’re an adoptee, sharing your journey is a powerful way to connect. Your perspective offers a unique view that others may not have considered. Your narrative is a powerful tool for educating and inspiring others.
- Advocate for Legal Changes: Join or support organizations and advocacy efforts that focus on adoptee rights.
- Participate in Events: There are adoption events, workshops, and webinars that focus on adoptee issues. This can be during National Adoption Month and throughout the year.
- Raise Awareness on Social Media: If you visit the ChildWelfare government website. You can access an option to download an “Outreach Toolkit” to help spread the word. It provides sample social media posts, key facts and statistics, graphics, and more.
- Participate in Fundraising: Fundraising efforts can provide financial support to organizations and initiatives focused on adoptee empowerment.
- Show Empathy and Support: Regardless of your connection to adoption, showing support to adoptees around the world can make a big difference. Validate their experiences and be a listening ear when needed.
At All About U Adoptions, we like to get involved in plenty of ways. One thing about us is that our mission is to empower everyone involved in the adoption process. This National Adoption Month, we are fundraising. There are so many ways to help. Your involvement, whether through sharing or advocating, can create a lasting impact. Always remember that adoption is love.
If you are an adoptee passionate about amplifying your voice and advocating for others, take action.